Man trying to kill insects with flames sets his house on fire

Firefighters say a man set his Miamisburg, Ohio, home on fire while trying to kill insects with a flammable device. (WKEF/WRGT)

MIAMISBURG, Ohio (WKEF/WRGT) - Investigators say a Miamisburg house caught fire after the homeowner tried to kill insects with some sort of flammable device.

Crews were called to a duplex along Montgomery Street in Miamisburg early Thursday morning. Investigators say the flames started on the second floor and spread throughout the home. The homeowner told firefighters he was trying to kill insects that were crawling around inside.

Miami Valley Fire District Chief Steve Meadows says if you want to get rid of bugs in your home, call the professionals: "We always recommend to have a professional if you have a rodent or insect problem to alleviate that problem and not to use open flames."

Both families inside the duplex were evacuated with no injuries. The fire caused about $20,000 in damage.